- My dad is an extremely reputed doctor in a big government hospital and he never really gets time to sit free. I am sure Indians know how busy and cramped government hospitals are. Even to this day, from the very beginning, he always makes it a point to call her up once around lunch time to ask if she had her food. If he ever misses calling, my mom calls him back and expresses her fake-anger in a very cute way and he pacifies her and asks her if she had lunch very sweetly. She blushes and smiles and asks him the same question in return.
- Whenever my mom goes out for something, be it even shopping for a few hours, my dad just feels paralyzed at home. He doesn’t move, doesn’t change his dress, doesn’t look at his phone or even enjoy something on TV till she comes back. The funny thing is, my mom listens to music a lot and my dad is always hooked to some sports/news channel. My mom always asks him to mute the TV and just read the headlines or watch sports in mute so that she can listen to music in loud volume. My dad is so used to it that, even when he is alone at home he keeps the TV on mute and watches it!
- My dad never walks even to this day without holding my mom’s hand. Everywhere. He cares for her so much especially because my mom is quite careless in crossing roads (considering the messy and chaotic traffic in Indian cities). He often forgets to hold my hand when we are crossing roads but does not let go of hers.
- My mom plays a number of practical jokes on my dad. They always have a great laugh together! And for me, the most beautiful thing a couple can do is to have a hearty laugh together. Once on April 1st my mom packed uncooked raw rice into my dad’s box and told him she had cooked his favorite dish (I don’t remember what dish she told him she cooked). My dad invited his colleagues to taste his lunch that day after boasting quite a lot about how nicely she cooks. Imagine his embarrassment when he opens the box in front of eagerly awaiting colleagues (all big doctors 😛 ) This was not even while they were super young…They keep this spark alive even after so many years into marriage. This was just one of them, my mom always has a number of tricks up her sleeve even to this day to tease my dad.
- My parents split every tiny work at home. Its never like one of them is working and the other is relaxing. They just don’t let each other do any hard work at home. They support each other so happily in these terms. Particularly my dad, who does this even after an extremely tiring day at work. When I see husbands who don’t help their wives at home, I find it very weird! I am so used to seeing my dad like this. My mom tries to ask him to rest but he never listens. He fights with her but does not let her work alone!
- Now my sister has an adorable baby boy and he has brought so much happiness into their lives. That little brat calms down when he is crying only if my mom sings for him (she is an amazing singer!). So sometimes she stays up singing for him and trying to put him to sleep while my sister sleeps soundly. My dad always stays up with her until the baby sleeps even though he has nothing to do. Never does he listen to my mom when she asks him to sleep.
- To be honest, they have had some of the worst fights any couple could ever have and have still not given up on each other. But a lot of their fights are very funny 😛 My mom is bad at understanding and remembering routes. Once, she had a terrible fight with my dad and left home saying she will never come back. It was quite serious and we all sat in the house with tensed expressions on our faces. After maybe 20 minutes, my dad got a call. It turned out to be my mom who had called him from a local phone booth. And we all heard her shout very angrily from the other end saying, “I don’t know the way to my father’s house properly! You better come here right now!” My father, sister and I resisted laughing as we were also worried about where she is lost. My father managed to find her and bring her back after which we all laughed like crazy. I can recall many more such cute fights they have had all these years.
Well there really are too many things my parents do which I admire. They really are damn adorable and I love them and see them as an inspiration. I definitely have high standards set for my guy 🙂
These are my parents on their 29th wedding anniversary 🙂
I am overwhelmed by the response. My parents are so happy too!
Thanks a lot for all your lovely wishes 🙂 and I really wish and hope all of you have wonderful relationships in your lives 🙂
I just wanna say, yes relationships like this are possible even to this day. Don’t ever lose hope! All it takes is a little bit of love, patience, respect and dedication:)