Professor Timothy Snyder talked about lessons learned from the rise of tyrannical regimes in several countries in the 20th century, as well as how those lessons could be applicable in the present.
„History does not repeat, but it does instruct”.
„In politics, being deceived is no excuse” (Leszek Kulakovski)
Subtitles that can be taken as a piece of advice. Very precious… and common sense.
- Do not obey in advance
- Defend institutions.
- Beware the one party state
- Take responsibility for the face of the world.
- Remember professional ethics.
- Be wary of paramilitaries
- Be reflective if you must be armed.
- Stand out
- Be kind to our language
- Believe in truth
- Make eye contact and small talk
- Practice corporeal politics
- Establish a private life
- Contribute to good causes
- Learn from peers in ather countries
- Listen for dangerous words
- Be calm when the unthinkable arrives
- Be a patriot
- Be as courageous as you can…
Cartea a fost deja tradusa în romana. Cf http://www.lapunkt.ro/2018/05/info-timothy-snyder-pamantul-negru-holocaustul-ca-istorie-si-avertisment/